Thursday 7 June 2012

So There!



I hate walking into a shop, saying hello to the person who works there and who is serving a customer, walking around, discovering that they don’t sell the thing I need, saying goodbye as I walk out to be called back with a “what were you looking for?” stopping, explaining, and getting a “we don’t sell that.”

I said, “I know, that’s why I’m leaving.”

I hate buying something in a shop that costs 4 euro 99, handing over a 5 euro note and then the shopkeeper looking at me as if I was a piece of dirt and asking “don’t you have any change?”

I said, “You are the shop, don’t YOU have any change?”

I hate it when you walk into a shop that is meant to sell things and they never, never have the thing I need in stock, even though the shop claims it sells everything and I only ever go there when I need that really boring thing that every shop would have if it really WAS a shop.

And I hate the guy who sits there, staring at a computer screen, and doesn’t give a shit that his shop is the asshole of the world.

IN fact I hate my local hardware store.

Ok, maybe I’m getting a bit over the top here and in fact I’m too old to hate anything.

The word itself is too strong. But if I were given a bomb and the choice to explode something in the world then the local hardware shop would be pretty near the top of my list.

My “to be exploded” list.

Which is filed under E in my voluminous filing cabinet.

However I do hate, really hate, the twisting tides that separate you and me.




No comments: