Wednesday 21 September 2011

Off-The Shelf 7


If you picked up my copy of The Wordsworth Dictionary of idioms .......... I would be pretty amazed.

I didn’t even know where it was! And it took me the best part of this afternoon to locate it behind my copy of the Kelly’s Heroes DVD, which was at the bottom of my drop leaf cabinet thingy next to the radiator and behind the giant coloured egg that sits, or stands precariously on the floor of (this) yellow room.

If you still had energy after all that and looked up “shelf ” - you would find only one entry.

Left on the shelf.

Some people, Wordsworth included, misunderstand this phrase in a negative way – the end, finished, dried up etc etc.

How wrong can they be?

VERY!

After two weeks camping in a field alongside a Help Yourself Shelf, patiently recording its comings and goings and observing the human interactions therewith…..

I can assure you that Left On The Shelf means….

Potential.
Excitement.
New Beginnings.
Adventures about to come.
Surprise.

And let’s see what today brings.

2 comments:

Anne Hodgson said...

My problem with shelves is that I can never find anything on them. I need stuff on the table where I can see it. Food is better on the table, too, come to think of it.

popps said...

Hey! Nice new photo!