Monday 7 March 2011

There'snow point in getting up.


Considering how confident I was that the back end of winter had flowed away last week (see here) it was a little surprising to wake up last Thursday morning to snow.(editors note - friday's post had been written on wednesday evening)

Especially when the theme of this month’s posts is meant to be Rain (see here).

Large soft flakes gently floated past my window, before settling on the ground where Spring bubbles optimistically.

I comforted myself with the knowledge that snow can only be frozen rain, that I had nowhere to go and that I could lie in bed and start part three of Neil Gaiman’s book – American Gods.

The book was lent to me by Keddrick – an Irishman who lives some of his time in San Francisco and some of the rest of his time near the top of a hopelessly steep medieval hill town not far from here.

As I write this I realise that although I have seen it rain on this medieval hill town, I have never seen it rain in San Francisco, and although I haven’t spent a GREAT deal of time in the Bay area it may just be so.

I must ask Keddrick when I return his book.

In return for his lending me American Gods I was meant to give him a copy of Neil Gaiman’s short stories – one containing the excellent tale of the elderly woman who finds The Holy Grail in her local Oxfam shop, buys it and takes it home to set it on the mantelpiece alongside her husband’s ashes.

But, when it came to the Sunday morning book trade, could I find it?

No.

So I offered him Nick Hornby’s – Juliet Naked, a story that starts in a public toilet in America but finishes on the sea front in Hull, in England.

I have never been to Hull, but I have a strong suspicion that it rains THERE quite a lot.

It’s probably snowing today.

5 comments:

Anne Hodgson said...

Splendid read. Great conceit: that Gods not only exist because we believe in them, but become stronger the more we believe.
Narnia for grownups.

popps said...

It was a great read Anne, i was a little surprised that he sees America asa bad place for Gods when God is so successful, but maybe the g and the G are the difference?
I thought there was a nice unstated allusion to God the Father, God the Son And God the Holy Ghost but i was not sure i understood the "message" , if indeed there was one.
Unless it was the bit about The Land.

Anne Hodgson said...

Chris, have you ever been inside an American church? The building materials... How could a god live there?
I remember first seeing Autun. I was 13. That's when I started getting all of the medieval music I could lay my hands on. Later on I did volunteer work for REMPART, restoring medieval churches.
Seems I'm daddy's gitl. My dad converted to Roman Catholicism on seeing Bamberg.
Enough said.

Anne Hodgson said...

girl

popps said...

It's funny that you ask that because i love going in churches but for some reason this is the only one i have been in in the USA.
http://letterfromsanfrancisco.blogspot.com/search?q=john+coltrane
So maybe those building materials are really to blame.