Thursday 6 January 2011

Attention Deficit (part one)


Ok – so, The Quiz of the Year.

But first, a story.

On Christmas day-after-day-after-Christmas day I went to my brother-in-law’s to eat curry with the rest of the (very large) family.

I guess eating curry together in the yuletide period is a traditional act from one of the Birmingham suburbs from which my sister-in-law comes from.

My niece – the radiant one – was there too and she gave me a present. Knowing my interest in, and collection of, games she had chosen a reprinted edition of the 1930’s (classic?) Touring England.

Everybody insisted that we played there and then - once the samosas(ae?) had all been munched.

After five minutes a different brother-in-law complained that the game was too slow and insisted on multiplying his dice throw by ten. Obviously this was against the 1930’s spirit, when touring England would have taken a very long time and also gave him a clear advantage as he introduced it on his turn where I was still struggling to get past the Sidcup bypass.

It also destroyed all the rules that the designers had dreamed up eighty years ago – the risk penalty of taking the ferries, the missed turns for landing in towns not included in your itinerary etc etc.

My brother-in-law wants results NOW!

He works in the field of motivational management.

Which is not actually true – I just made it up for comic effect.

Weirdly everybody else at the table agreed and started multiplying all dice rolls by ten, it was chaos.

Sarcastically I suggested we could go even quicker and just add up the numbers written on the four route cards distributed randomly at the beginning of the game and declare the team with the highest total winners.

Everyone thought this was even better - and the game was over.

The game is now known as NOT Touring Britain.

My brother-in-law won.

Does this have anything to do with the Quiz of the Year?

Hopefully we will find out tomorrow in part two.

No comments: