Sunday 7 November 2010

A Practical Guide to Some of Life's Top Things - (part 10 of 10)



(what follows is the final part of something that started 10 weeks ago, certain references will only make sense if you follow the links - the editor)

So – finally - after ten consecutive Sundays (except last week which turned into a Saturday), we find ourselves at the end of this series of Practical Guides to Some of Life’s Top Things.

A sort of -“thought for the day” - Bitsnbobs style.

Next week, who knows? But this week, NUMBER TEN.

And this is the one I kept to last.

Why - because it’s number ten, bottom of the list?

No, I told you before - number one is number one simply because it’s the first one I wrote, this is number ten because it’s the last one I wrote.

But you kept it to last – it couldn’t be the first or the sixth?

Correct.

Why?

Because I have been hesitating.

You’ve been hesitating?

I’ve been hesitating.

Hey, -that’s that thing, what did you call it?

Motif?

Motif! When you repeat the things I say!

Yes, when I repeat the things you say.

We won’t be doing that again will we?

We won’t. But there will be something else.

Whatever. So, why have you been hesitating?

Well this has been a ten part guide to a top ten things, a practical guide – and I have been hesitating about including what follows in the ten, so subsequently I have waited to now.

Oh, I sense a controversy.

Well certainly a personal controversy.

So – what is it?

NUMBER TEN - age.

Is that a verb or a noun?

Verb - imperative form.

Ah, I see.

You do?

Yes. People say things like – I don’t want to grow old; old age stinks and whatshisname said -“I hope I die before I get old”

They do, but they could be wrong.

Could be?

Yep, I’m still thinking about it.

Taking a chance putting it in eh?

Yes – but you know what?

YES! Taking a chance – that’s what it’s all about!

Thom Pod!

Thom Pod!!

Bless him.

How old is he?

Must be ancient by now – as old as the cliffs at Tintangel that I will forever associate with him.

Why?

After I bought his van I drove there.

Why?

I was looking for King Arthur.

Did you find him?

A memory.

Ah, Memories – it’s what it’s all about!

You learn well grasshopper.

Grasshopper! That’s that game you Created – where you quote someone and pretend to forget who it was isn’t it?

It is.

Are we going to do it this week?

You already did.

I did?

You did.

Wow, like you said – Surprise!

Yep, you’ve gotta be open to them – and age sometimes surprises you.

Good or bad?

That’s why I’ve been hesitating – but I’m coming around to the belief that none of anything makes any sense unless we age, and maybe only the best stuff comes because of it.

Do you remember we spoke about Sunsets?

I do.

It’s like that – the sunset is the best time. I think age gives you that.

You’re loosing me.

I don’t know, it’s hard to put my finger on, but things take time – and it’s ok.

And you cant Live! If you don’t age!

Exactly.

So basically, what you are saying is - It’s Simple!

It is.

So, are we done?

Hang on, there’ one missing.

There is?

There is.

What are you talking about?

You’ve gotta guess.

A game?

Yes!

Ah, I’ve got it – Play!

Oh, and do you remember when you are a kid and your mum says eat your spinach and you say yuk and she says you’ll grow to like it and you say yuk yukitty yuk and she says make sure you use some punctuation sometimes?

Sort of.

Well, it’s better than that.

So.

So?

Fancy a blackberry?

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for all of this Chris. The 9 Sundays and 1 Saturday of your thoughtfulness, humour, effort, inspiration and wisdom.


Can't express how much I have enjoyed it all.

Thank you!

Must take time to mull over all ten.

Mary xx

PS - Fear IS the only darkness.

popps said...

Thank YOU Mary, i had a lot of fun doing it, thanks for being the muse.