Monday 29 March 2010

New Headlights (A Soft Breeze of Discontent 3)


Two things happened on the way home.

1. I stopped in the village of Negrepelisse - where a woman, originally from the north of France, has set up a roadside sandwich and chip caravan. I ordered chips and she asked if I wanted small or large. I was hungry, it was late so I said ‘Large’; I said please too. It was the biggest portion of chips I have ever seen; I was still eating them as I drove up to the house an hour later. In fact there a few a few left if you would like one.

2. I saw a badger.

I don’t see badgers very often, in fact I can count my lifetime badger spotting occasions on half a hand – this was only the second time.

But I knew it was a badger. I wasn’t sure at first as it crossed the road where my headlights caught it, but as I slowed down and the badger climbed into the forest its striped white snout was incontestable.

It was very sleek, slim and nifty of paw - nothing like the slow chubby fellow that I know from Wind In The Willows.

I, however -after finishing those chips, am.

2 comments:

Janet Bianchini said...

I love the pictures of the old car in the wood! There must be a story behind it. Hopefully you will be revealing it soon?

popps said...

Rumour has it that it was being driven by Gestapo during the occupation and was ambushed by the resistance.
Then again why the Gestapo were driving in the forest remains unclear.