Sunday 31 December 2023

IT's Ton.






When did you discover Tom Waits?

Or…

When did you start listening to him?

It might not be the same thing.

For me it was, hang on ….. Monday, Tuesday….. 

1986.

I was in Hong Kong.

At the bottom of a staircase in a small concrete floored reception area of a disused former martial arts training building.

I was sleeping upstairs in an otherwise empty room.

Except for a mosquito.

It was annoying.

Downstairs, I had a Walkman – remember them? -  and I was listening to Tom Waits singing whilst I was practicing a seven ball bounce.

He was good.

I wasn’t.

Which is why I only ever bounced five on stage.

 

Every morning when I woke up and left the building I saw a man under the trees doing his Tai-Chi.

Every evening I looked for the mosquito.

 

During the day …. Well, so many things happened I’m not sure I can be bothered to list them.

Because I’m listening to Tom now and I’d prefer just to remember.

Is that ok?

 

Tell you what, to make up for it I’ll wish you a happy New Year.

And..

If you haven’t already...

You can listen to this.

 

No comments: