Wednesday 11 June 2014

Bob's Boxes 11 - a special feature of the year.


significant and timely (see tomorrow)

Hi -it's Bob. Do i need to give you the context of this stuff or just post it like this?

I don't know Bob, do you mean other than 'you and your boxes'?

Yes.

I'm the only one here and i don't know. Let's ask the (any) readers. Do we?


Can you hear me? Yes, yes, I’m calling from the island…the reception is crap….. Yeah I know I’m meant to be writing …but it’s hopeless. …What? No, I can’t hear you, ok, yes, that’s better, no, there isn’t. No, no. No chair, no table, he wants me to sit on the sand….. No not even a towel. I told him! I said it’s too bloody hot mate, the sun is beating down and it reflects off the paper straight into my eyes! It’s killing me. …..No, I haven’t got any sunglasses, I can’t bloody write in sunglasses can!? ….What do you mean I can’t write without them either! Look, it’s awful… I can’t sleep at night because of the mosquitoes and during the day it’s like being in an oven.
Ok.
Yes.
No, a fucking Remington!
Remington! R.E.M, look a typewriter!
Yes I know it sounds like a machine gun, don’t tell me!.....; it’ got a dodgy e key and the ribbon needs changing, weighs a sodding ton!
Yes, I spoke with her. Hang on….., no, wait a minute….
I'll see if i can find some shade.
Blimey!
You ain’t going to believe this! There’s a wooden hut at the back of the beach….. it’s got a little wooden deck shaded by a palm tree…… An effing coconut palm!
No, it’s perfect…… there’s a jasmin bush on one side, oh god, I wish you could smell it. Hang on; let me sit down…. yes, yeah a little table. Wooden! No, no paint….. just aged and natural like it grew out of the ground along with the hut, like it’s been here for ever. It feels like it’s alive….Yeah…. it smells, ancient, Hemmingway could’ve sat here….. What? Yeah, a chair. Like the table, hewn from the same tree, or maybe driftwood….. No, I can’t hear you. Yeah. The sea. Just the sound of the waves on the sand, a little distant….. Ok, yeah, gotta go, I want to start. No, no one else…. Mary will drop by at sunset. Yeah. And a bottle of wine. Ok, see you. Wish me god’s speed.

No comments: