Friday 5 October 2012

A New Found Land.





Iceland!

I’ve never been there, but I’d like to go.

America.

I’ve been there.

But it doesn’t fill you with the same excitement does it?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fascinating place and well worthy of a visit but the name itself isn’t really the stuff of legends is it?

Let’s face it, on a map it just doesn’t have the same resonance as  - “here there be dragons”.

Spain?

I’ve been there too and though when you say the name it conjures up exciting feelings of passion and warm nights it’s memory doing this not the name.

Wales, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Canada, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Mexico, Columbia, Guatemala, Australia, Monaco, Andorra – all very honourable places but who named them thus?

Take me to The Land of Ice  - (please)!

Maybe we could follow the Nor-way to get there?

On skip through the Green Land.

Surely these names are more romantic?

And don’t we need romance?

I think there must be two types of people creating the maps we have been using – bureaucrats and adventurers.

France!

Who would want to live there?

Give me New Found Land anyday!

No comments: