Wednesday 19 September 2012

Rambling along (and along, and along, and along).


Imagine stepping into a room, vast like the concourse of a major, yet mythical, railway terminal, which is full of papers swirling and falling, flying and drifting – as if bewitched by an invisible wind. Imagine the sunlight streaming in through windows so high that they seem like dreams. What would you do? Shut the door I guess, just in case it was oneself that had caused the draught and set a thousand carefully stacked papers randomly cascading. Either that, or grab a handful and with the blessing of the Head Archivist  -whose job it is to tame the Turbulent Chambers as they are now known – set off on a long ramble homewards as the autumn infiltrates. And as I ramble along I’ll read a few of these tumbling missives that come from An Archive Past. Oh, and stick some photos of a recent walk in London Town. This is what is happening at the moment here on Bitsnbobs, and which has been previously explained here.



I met this guy yesterday, it was Sept 7th 2012, and he said (among other things) that he didn’t think it was possible to go back to a time when paid holidays were not the norm in the workplace. His suggestion was that this ‘right’ won relatively recently was now set in stone.

I don’t share his optimism.

I read in the paper only a few days before that as part of the new pressures for austerity in Greece the suggestion had been raised that the locals return to a six-day working week.

It seems nothing is sacred.

And nothing IS unless we deem it so.

I must confess that my grasp of economics (grade E at A-level in 1973) is slight and I don’t really see how making an underpaid Greek factory worker toil another day helps a situation where the government is spending more money than it has, or the banks are being saved with public money.

But what do I know?

Very little it turns out.

I only just found out that my daughter has a boyfriend!

Everyone else knew apparently – even the neighbours.

Ok, maybe it’s because I’m a Facebookrefusnik – is that the word? – so I am completely out of the loop, or maybe it’s just because I’m stupid.

Who knows?

I guess there is a stupid test I could take, a sort of opposite I.Q. test?

That would be a Q.I. test I guess.

Which makes me think of the British TV programme; which I think is pretty stupid too.

In fact I think TV is pretty stupid generally.

Or, the stuff on it.

Not all of it, I qualify, but most.

In fact I’ve given it up.

This year is my first year that I remember (thus eliminating my early childhood which is a distant blur) that I have not had a TV in the house where I live.

Ok, there IS a TV in the house but since last November it does nothing but play DVDs.

Someone changed the signals beamed at the house from somewhere and now it’s just a box and I can’t see the point in changing whatever I need to change in order to have something to look at that I don’t look at anyway.

In fact I don’t see the point in anything.

So I’ll shut up.

2 comments:

Vicki Hollett said...

Theme are often good, I think. A little constraint helps unleash the creativity....

popps said...

Sometimes a lot!