Monday 24 January 2011

Whereabouts Unknown - You'll have to Imagine!


If you are new to this blog – hi and welcome.

If you have been here before – hi and welcome.

Bitsnbobs – the blog with equqlity!

And bad spelling!!

You may, or may not, have read this bit – where I detail some of my obsession with games collection.

Once upon a time the instructions for games started with – the youngest person goes first, or throw a dice and the highest score goes first.

Not any more!

In chess, of course, white begins - in Siam it’s the elephants.

The Enchanted Island invites the last person to have visited an island to take the first turn (difficult when I played my niece last week – she LIVES on an island but I VISITED her at Christmas).

Jumping Java gives this honour to the last person to have drunk a cup of coffee and Ticket to Ride (Europe) to the person who has visited the most European countries.

Dixit, a game I notice has recently won the coveted “Game of the Year Award’ 2010, suggests that the person who tells the best story should start.

Since, according to the instructions, Dixit can be played by up to six players this pre game story telling can take up as much time, if not more, than the game itself.

I was playing at Christmas so told my story about the day I met Ian Dury –you can refresh your memory here – but I was out-told by a long-standing game-nemesis of mine.

The story might seem improbable but I don’t doubt its authenticity – the teller has no need to embellish their extra-ordinary life and I believe almost every word.

It seems that when she were about seven years old she was living with her family above a macrobiotic restaurant in central London.

One night her parents came in and asked her to go down to the restaurant and serve a parsnip to the couple on the table by the window.

If I was seven and my parents asked me to do this I would think it pretty weird.

But knowing the parents in question this request is not so abnormal.

She did, and also asked for an autograph as she had been instructed.

The couple were John and Yoko and they obliged with the autograph.

The only thing that was not clear in the telling of the story is whether the menu or the parsnip was signed.

Either way the whereabouts of said autograph are unknown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Tops you do me proud - however, I didn't serve a parsnip but some macro gloop (probably lovely) butthe request for the autograph on my subsequent visit with the bill obviously tickled Johns response which was to write over the bill
1 Parsnip and then sign his name. My aupair(or her family as she is sadly no longer with us) who was working there as a waitress at the time and had alerted my parents may have it! She incidently was called Annie and was Alan Bennetts companion until he brought her a tea house in Yorkshire - more stories anyone.

popps said...

Ok,ok!!
You can go first!
:-)