Sunday 16 January 2011

Thought of the Day (a sunday service)



A penny for my thoughts?

Yep, a penny for your thoughts.

A penny, why a penny?

That’s what my dad used to say.

When?

In the 1950’s.

How about a euro?

A euro for your thoughts? It sounds wrong. A penny.

What is a penny?

Well, it’s like a pence?

So how about a pence for your thoughts?

Forget it.

No pence?

No!

A euro?

No!

I’ll take the penny then.

I’ve changed my mind.

Can you do that?

Change my mind?

Yes.

Yes.

Even when you’ve said – a penny for your thoughts?

Why not?

Well, it’s like a superstition, isn’t it? Walking under ladders, spilling salt, that sort of thing.

I don’t think so.

That’s just because you’re miserly. But if you say, a penny for your thoughts and then don’t give it to me it will bring you bad luck.

Not if you don’t give me your thoughts.

But I have.

You have?

I have.

Here’s a penny then.

Thanks.

What were they ?

What?

Your thoughts.

Oh, I was thinking – isn’t it weird that when we grew up all the coins had nicknames, a bob, a tanner, a quid. Then everything goes decimal and no nicknames!

Maybe we don’t care about decimal money.

Or the Euro, no nicknames there either.

Look at the dollar; nickel, dime, quarter, buck.

I wish I could.
But you only gave me a penny.
A penny for my thoughts.

No comments: