Saturday 30 January 2010

Surprised, again, by black.


So........

I sit down to watch a DVD - a Terry Gillam film, The Brothers Grim. It’s Friday Night, the fire is lit, I have a glass of red wine and apart from the fact that I’m on my own life is good.

A long way into the film, which I’m enjoying, a sort of comic goth fantasy, the 400 year old witch crumbles to life and decides to blow out the forest fire – started by the authorities to destroy the villager’s superstitions about the wood where she lives a dying death.

The screen goes black.

Black black.

Is it on purpose?

An unfinished masterpiece?

I sip a bit more of the wine, an organic Merlot, and wait.

How do you know?

I press fast forward, rewind, pause, play, menu, titles, pause and play again but everything remains resolutely black.

Almost thirty years ago to the winter day I was travelling through Southern Mexico.

In a small market, I’m strolling and eating hot steamed tamales when I see a vendor selling fruit I have never encountered before.

It's November the first, day of the dead.

I buy some, wander off to picnic by the lake; I cut it open and the inside is black. I open another.

The same.

Is it meant to be like that?

How do you know?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who enjoys to seek recent things. Presently I am building my hold photovoltaic panels. I'm managing it all alone without the aid of my men. I am using the internet as the only path to acheive this. I saw a truly brilliant website which explains how to contruct pv panels and wind generators. The web site explains all the steps required to photovoltaic panel construction.

I am not really sure about how precise the information given there is. If some experts over here who had xp with these works can have a look and give your feedback in the site it will be grand and I would extremely appreciate it, cause I truly passion [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. You guys are great.

popps said...

I'm leaving this bit of Spam here as i think it highlights the sheer fun we can have with the language.

Anne Hodgson said...

Is it this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sapote
One of my most cherished bijous is a little "day of the dead" skeleton wedding couple riding along in a converntable. Must snap and blog about it.

popps said...

Brilliant!
I think that must be it!!
A mystery of almost 30 years solved by the wonder of blogging.
Thanks