Thursday 14 January 2010

Super Honest Taxi Drivers and Errant Hippos (part 1)


I woke up this morning, feeling fine, there's something special on my mind, last night...........

I slept much better.

Snow's gone too.

You might recognise the opening sentence as coming from a song by Herman's Hermits - but then you might not.

Or you might recognise it but be unwilling to admit it - betraying as it may either your age – it was a hit in 1964 - or your taste.

Apparently, though I didn’t know this either in 1964 or last night, the song was partly written by Carole King.

Which could mean that you have impeccable taste.

For some reason the song is singing along inside my head, seemingly independently, even though I am listening to a fairly noisy Keith Jarrett recording as I write – the Setting Standards collection that I have just borrowed from the local library, even tough it had possibly been there since 1983.

At some point in this post – probably in another 6 lines if I maintain the early rhythm - I will get to some music made in recent months.

But then it will be the end of the post and so we will never know what I am listening to either inside or outside of my head.

As you can see, if you have stayed with me this far I am beginning to ramble in a desperate attempt to find coherence and content for the days post.

I was intending to write about Australia, but seem to have become sidetracked, and I had also thought to write about a couple of stories that caught my eye in the newspaper – super honest taxi drivers and errant hippos but everything seems to be overshadowed by traumatic events in Haiti.

And in respect, I’ll stop there.

http://www.yele.org

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Damn! You got me humming it too. Had to go searching for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_9fDuJmag
Dontcha love those go-go dancers?

popps said...

Damm! Now you got ME thinking about go-go dancers!!

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)