Tuesday 20 October 2009

Drift by my window


It turns out I’m a month late.

I had thought that tomorrow, October 21st marked the beginning of Autumn but a quick search on the internet threw up this information.

"Astronomically the arrangement of the planes of the orbit of the Earth and its equator are such that the planes intersect at two times, the Equinoxes, when the length of the day and night are equal. Mid-way between these are the Solstices, when the Sun is at its highest and lowest in the sky at mid-day. These times can be determined very accurately and, as they occur near the times when the seasons are changing, have been used to indicate the start of each season. Thus Spring is deemed to start at the Vernal Equinox (near March 21), Summer at the Summer Solstice (near June 21), Autumn at the Autumn Equinox (near September 21) and Winter at the Winter Solstice (near December 21). In the southern hemisphere the cycle is displaced by half a year."

Probably you all knew that but I’m well miffed.

I’ve been sitting outside having lunch in the sunshine when I should have been collecting chestnuts and roasting myself around the log fire.

A trip down to the Walnut tree has confirmed all suspicions to be true, the squirrels have eaten everything and left me only dry falling leaves.

So in the spirit of the summer gone I would like to offer a greatest hits.

The top three moments of summer 2008 (from a very personal point of view.)

1. Sleeping outside with Krissie in a pavilion made for two.

2. THE Party

3. Saffron dancing to ‘Build me up Buttercup’ – her original teenager choreography.

2 comments:

Anne Hodgson said...

human sunshine

popps said...

yes, that she is, never grumpy either.