Tuesday 31 May 2011

Bob's Birthday Blues.


A week ago – in another lifetime, full of toil and blood – I was working with a group of French 18 to 20 year olds.

I had decided that it was time they learnt how to use the word “Stuff” and I showed them a number of quotations from famous people, all of which featured the word.

Among them was this – “Just because you like my stuff doesn’t mean I owe you anything” – attributed to Bob Dylan.

Last Tuesday also happened to be his birthday.

“Who’s Bob Dylan?” someone asked.

I invited the other folk to contribute any information on the subject that they might have.

“A singer”.

And that was about it.

“Nationality?” I asked.

“Er…. British?”.

I put them straight.

“Ok singer, any idea of period? Now, past, ancient history?” I asked.

“Seventies” was suggested.

“Any thing else?” I enquired hopefully.

“I think he’s dead”.

Ok, fair enough, they are young, he is old, he sounds raspy when he sings but…..

Maybe I’m too influenced by the man’s writing and his apparent individualism, but I ask you – what is wrong with youth today?
It seems though that not everyone thought a seventieth birthday of a living legend was enough to celebrate.

Here’s an interesting article asking just that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lay lady lay....lay across my big brass bed....sexiest ever! id still go for mr bob in his 70s......
did you ever hear brian ferry(spell)do his song, really good
but bob is still the bob
x

popps said...

Bob the bob is certainly still the bob!
But i haven't fond a Brian Ferry version that i didn't find limp.
Yet.
I'll look again 'cos i trust you.

Anonymous said...

trust me no more!Dylanesque.....no brass bed . but maybe he did produce it somewhere? Still so sexy by Bob

Anne Hodgson said...

I don't really think they're typical. Dylan is considered very cool among the young urbanites in these parts at least. Big fat grungy renaissancy beachboysy folk revival underway: think Fleet Foxes, Mumford & Sons. I actually think the brilliant and melodious Merz is one of the engines indirectly exerting influence on the mainstream. I'd be curious to know what the French jeunnesse is listening to these days.

Anne Hodgson said...

You'll like Butterfly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFm4jME4pg&feature=relmfu

Anne Hodgson said...

My favorite - melancholy but so real: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRF5e0yCyKg&feature=related

popps said...

Thankyou Anne, i will be asking you to organise my play list at my next party, meanwhile i try to find out whom the French youth are listening too, though i fear it may be noisy rap.