Sunday 3 April 2011

Thought of the Day (13)




So, Oscars then!

Ah yes, last week you were saying there was something you hated about them.

Well, to be accurate it was the week before that - last week was the second time we didn’t get around to it.

And this week?

Let’s get around to it.

Ok.

So……. when I was at university I took some courses in sociology with a guy we called old Benny.

Why?

Well, he liked jazz and was always playing Benny Goodman tunes in his office.

And was he?

Was he what?

A Goodman? He he he.

That was a joke?

Yep.

Nope.

Whatever.

But yes, he was - among a bunch of lecturers and professors that we figured were pretty useless he stood out like a beacon of sense.

And?

And one of the things he said…..

This IS about the Oscars isn’t it?

Bear with me.

I’m not taking my clothes off!

Eh?

Bare, it was a joke.

Oh, ha -ha.

You were saying?

Old Benny used to say that all criticism was constructive as it implied a prior questioning.

Ah, you’re going to be critical of the Oscars and you don’t want to be accused of being negative.

Exactly.

So what is it that annoys you about the Oscars?

Well, I went to see True Grit.

Ah, finally, what did you think?

I loved it – the cinematography was of a very high standard, some of the shots were excellent.

Like what?

Well the opening shot on the train, and the view of the mountains that slowly rose into view.

Do you like cowboy films?

Well, I grew up with them – I don’t know if I like them or if they are just something that is part of me, but the film’s not so much about that.

No? What’s it about then?

Determination, never giving up, making things happen – there is a great moment early in the film when the young girl rides across the river, it sums up the whole film.

So, you could stop watching at that point?

No, you would miss the shot with the mountains.

Ah, what about Mr Bridges?

Love him, great actor, one of my faves, maybe THE fave - I couldn’t understand a word he said.

Oh?

It was ok, there were French subtitles, I used them.

Anything you didn’t like?

The end, it wasn’t necessary, it added nothing and thus took away.

So why are you annoyed with the Oscars?

Well I could complain about the way they only look at films that were issued a month or two before the event, that foreign films don’t get to compete for the main prize, that a supporting actress can’t win best actress even though she might have been better, that it’s all decided by marketing and money or even that if you portray someone with a handicap you are more likely to win an Oscar.

Are you?

Am i what?

Going to complain about all that?

No, I’ll just point out it seems pretty mean not to consider True Grit for best musical score on the grounds that they used already published gospel songs.

That seems, er, fair.

Yep, but they give the King’s Speech an Oscar for best original screenplay when in fact the writers were writing something that had already happened and used notebooks written at the time in their script.

Double standards?

Double standards.

Touchy today aren’t you?

Maybe.

Did you see the King’s Speech?

Did.

Do you want to talk about it?

Maybe.

Next week?

Maybe.




12 comments:

Janet Bianchini said...

Looking forward to reading your review of the King's Speech!

I love cowboys as well, and Rawhide and The Big Bonanza with Barbara Stanwick were my favourites as a child.

Anne Hodgson said...

Well, will have to go see "True Grit", obviously. White spirituals/ country gospel is definitely up my alley. "Brother, Where Art Thou" also used classic standards, and at least won a Grammy; maybe "True Grit" will, too.

I actually enjoyed the King's Speech a lot. It reminded me of some of my own lessons, actually. It's part of the job, sometimes, having to get at someone's soft underbelly, balancing out that intimacy with deep respect and humor, and my slightly unorthodox methods with a show of (ahem!) professionalism.

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Anne (and Chris again)

It's nice to connect with you here!

I'm intrigued by your slightly "unorthodox methods" - that sounds really interesting!! Are either of you off to Brighton soon?

popps said...

Janet - what about Champion the Wonder Horse? Alias Smith and Jones? The Lone Ranger? Wagon Train?

popps said...

Brighton?
Want am i missing?
It's still too cold for a swim, surely?

Anne Hodgson said...

My head is too full to attempt IATEFL, Janet, so I'll do my icebathing here, Chris. Unorthodoxy is always relative, isn't it, and interesting only to the person being pushed ever so lightly into a rousing state of discomfort. Boring to talk about, generally. "What are you thinking about?" "Oh, just some... student." Needs a good actor to make it Hollywood, or a Western. Maybe Champion the Wonder Horse can play the lead?

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Anne and Chris

I don't think I used to watch Champion the Wonder Horse and not sure about the others.
Was it called Waggon Train or another name? Reminds me of Waggon Wheels, which I still like!

How about The Big Valley?? That was fantastic!

NB
I've just realized I made the "Big Bonanza" up! No such cowboy ever existed!! It's either "Bonanza" or "The Big Valley". Sorry for the oversight!

popps said...

Yep Wagon Wheels was good too, ah, those were the days when real television was made for real people.

Vicki said...

Champion the Wonder Horse and the Lone Ranger spawned a lot of games when I was growing up. One involved spectacular amd lengthy deaths. After being shot from behind the sofa (with a silber bullet perhaps), the kid who could die most spectacularly was the winner.

popps said...

Light a streak of lightning flashing cross the sky
like the swiftest arrow whizzing from a bow
like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly
you'll hear about him every where you go
the time will come when everyone will know the name
of CHAMPION, the wonder horse.
I can still sing it after all these years,
come on vicki, you can be a squaw if you like!:-)

Vicki hollett said...

Oh am impressed! I could only remember the tune for the 'Champion.. the wonder horse bit but luckily youtube was there to refresh my memory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i_pEYGe1o

popps said...

Thankyou vicki, it's even BETTER than i remember it!