Sunday 12 January 2020

A text, socks and a dog.

Rye Harbour/29 Dec 2019

At 8 a.m. on Friday i received a text message from someone i know a little – North American, runs, has a dog – which said happy Birthday Chris.

Cool I thought; it’s not my birthday but I’m happy with the happy.

I replied as such, « I’ll take the happy and forget the birthday ».

Then I went to work.

By lunch time everyone at the office believed it was my birthday, because the person i know a little, told someone who should have known better, who told everyone that they met and suddenly everyone was wishing me a happy day.

I felt i should say something.

‘It’s not my birthday but thank you for all the good wishes.’

And by now there was a wrapped pair of avocado festooned socks in my pigeon hole.

I sent an e-mail to the north-american dog loving runner explaining their mistake.

They replied – ‘oh, it must be next Friday then! »

It’s not, but i thought, hey, I’m happy to have a birthday every week.

It takes the pressure off.

And I need new socks.

No comments: