Wednesday 16 July 2014

Part two of The beginning of everything, and therefore, of the year

PART TWO


He took me to a pub down by the river somewhere, at the end of a maze of narrow cobbled streets and before we went in we leant on the wall and looked at the water. The tide was out and the sand that no one in the city notices lay there untouched.

“It needs something to shine on it, a sort of light, then it will glisten. I’ve got an idea, I could do that on the fourth day maybe”, he said and we went inside.

I had a lime cordial, he had whisky and as he drank it I wondered how old he was. His skin looked as if it would grace a rhinoceros, deep lines were etched into it around his startling eyes and his shock of white straggling hair looked like a plant that had taken root in a rock.

“How old are you?” I asked.
“Old enough, how old are you?”
“Young enough.”

He laughed. The sound started somewhere deep inside him and rolled out like thunder, people at the bar turned to look and one man came over and sat down.

“Who’s this?” the stranger asked.
“Don’t know his name” replied Dog, “but he’s ok.”
The stranger raised his glass, “Cheers”. It looked like he was drinking wine, but then again it might have been water.

“What do they call you Dog “, I asked.
“It’s my name”
“No it ain’t”, contradicted the stranger, “ask him what his real name is”.
“What’s your real name”?
“God, but I changed it, it seemed pretentious”.
“Why? I think it sounds quite good. Unusual though, I’ve never heard it before – where’s it from?”

We chatted like this for a while and then the stranger said – “Here’s the key, the model’s finished, you can have a look but lock up after you leave” – and with that he got up and left.

“Who was that?” I asked.

“He’s a carpenter. We’re related. Let’s go and see what it looks like.”

No comments: