Thursday 17 July 2014

Part three of The beginning of everything, and therefore, of the year




PART THREE


It was dark outside and the narrow cobbled streets suddenly seemed a lot narrower. A little scary too, I was glad I wasn’t here on my own.

“I really must do something about the dark, come on, this way, watch out for the step”. The old man swung a leg over the low wall and jumped to the sand below.

I followed and for the first time I noticed a small boat moored to the beach.
“Can you row?”

The water was calm but it was so dark that I though we were moving through liquefied coal.
“Where are we going?”

Dog pointed at a murky light only just visible in the gloom and as we neared I saw some steps leading up to a small cabin.
“It’s the workshop”.

The light was coming from a candle hanging in a jar from the door handle. Dog picked it up and peered at the keyhole and fumbled with the key.

“Yep, we definitely need more light in the firmament, remind me when we get inside.”

But what I saw when we got inside surprised me so totally that most of my memories started from that moment and I forgot everything that had gone before.


No comments: