Saturday 22 September 2012

Rambling along 22 - unfinished..



I should point out that this month - ramblings - are just that; ramblings from my mind over the last two months (July and August) and do not necessarily represent me today. But they do constitute in their own way a part of The Archives. This is explained, i think, here.




On January the 1st, 1980 I was 27 days short of my 25th birthday.

10 years later I wrote in my diary – “Happy New Year. New decade, new diary. A lot of things can happen in 10 years…”

In 1980 I had seen the New year begin from the outside of a party in Oaxaca, Mexico, ten years later I was on the outside edge of a party in Portobello road, London.

Although a lot of things can happen, HAD happened - I hadn’t learnt how to move from that outside edge.

I still haven’t.

In 2000 I’m not sure where I was, but more importantly I forgot to look back over the previous decade and take stock.

In 1990 – two partnerships had been and gone, I’d grown up and fallen in love.

By 2000 I had become a dad.

In 2010 I again forgot to look back and take stock – just too busy I guess.

Or maybe it’s something you do in your thirties; maybe taking stock is what it’s all about.

In your forties and fifties perhaps you just move the stock around a bit.

In 2010, when the New Year slipped in I’m pretty sure I was way outside of the edge of the party going on in London.

I’m often happier now out on that edge, or a bit beyond.

But 2000?

It’s bothering me.

I need to look.

Hang on……

3 comments:

Mary said...

At least you go to the parties. I've an adversity to atttending or being asked even. For big parties or especially ones like New Years, I generally tell my friends and relatives ahead of time that they don't have to extend an invite.

I appreciate the generosity of my hosts but always feel that I'd rather be reading a book listening to music or watching a movie.

Too late to become the life of the party I guess.

Mx

popps said...

Tracks of my tears?

Mary said...

Not quite. Just years of having to be in places and circumstances not of my choosing. You get to a point where you realize you are running out of time to be where want to be and to do what you want to do.
Mx