Tuesday 29 March 2011

ONLY ONE!


Wouldn’t it be great if today was St Swithin’s Day ?

Well, it would for me because:

a) It’s not raining, the sky is blue and the sun is warm.
b) It’s day 29 of The Bitsnbobs attempt at 31 consecutive March posts wherein the mention of rain is mandatory.
c) I’m struggling for inspiration.

But it’s not.

Today is St Gontran’s Day.

Who the hell is St Gontran?

Hang on…….

Hmmm…….

King of Burgandy a long time ago apparently, with absolutely no connection with rain, whatsoever.

Unlike his namesake (saint) Swithin.

Bishop of Winchester around about the same time (a long time ago).

Of whom it is said:

“St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St. Swithin's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.”

Forty is one of those words I always have difficulty spelling – along with accapela, Macutio and nae mair.

I once wrote it on a blackboard in front of a group of 8 year olds that were my students in English, one of them put up his hand and corrected me.

Embarassing is annother worde I somtimes spel incorectly.

How many E’s in that?

No comments: