Friday 20 August 2010

A Thought for the President.



I know that I live in France and I should really be writing about how a fascist right wing government is deporting people in a desperate attempt to win National Front votes, but what caught my eye in today‘s news is the fact that the Moon is shrinking!

Sleeping outsiders as we are, the nights once again hot, the Moon is something you notice – especially now as it approaches full.

But I hadn’t noticed anything wrong.

According to NASA reports though, wrinkles have appeared that indicate shrinkage.

I have a few wrinkles myself and I have noticed recent shrinkage so I sympathise.

Krissie was less concerned, “It’s always had wrinkles” - she stated in response to the news.

Fair enough I suppose. She seemed more interested in hearing about Sri Anandamayi Ma who is the subject of an “exhibition” in the nearby town of Cordes-sur-ciel and who has inspired her to spontaneously break out into extreme yoga positions, forget to cook and claim divinity status.

Cordes is a local mega-tourist–venue, an ancient Bastide town where local Cathars once threw the King’s messengers down the well and where now you can buy a nice ceramic pot.

It’s an impressive place nonetheless but of course being in our backyard, we rarely visit.

Last week I did – I took Michael along and climbed up through the ridiculously perched and cobbled streets to the top where I intended to show him the well (you can deposit a euro and illuminate the shaft that descends for miles).

I was distracted by a huge carved piece of wood that doubled as an entrance-way, and you know me - I can’t resist walking into a tree.

Inside I found a giant wooden egg, and you know me - I can’t resist sitting inside giant wooden eggs.

It was brilliant, the outside tourist tack disappeared and I entered an ovular meditation zone.

The tree, the egg and later the sand covered floor are all in a house that houses one person’s love and devotion to the Indian Mystic Sri Anandamayi Ma, and his occasional yet very impressive dabbling at sculpture.

All of which he shares.

“This is your house, isn’t it?”
“Yes, but it’s your house too, welcome.”

It’s a pity that the French President and his government don’t see things this way.

No comments: