Friday 23 October 2009

There will now be a twenty minute interval!


I’ve just been informed – though not in my Dad’s letters – that the German word for “twenty,” is dangerously close in sound and pronunciation to the German Word for penis.

Apparently my wife invited the good people of Cologne to enjoy an “interval of penises” half way through her show last week.

I don’t know if she is winding me up or if it is in fact true………

Hang on, I’ll nip up the other end of the house and see what our German dictionary thinks about this……………

……..well, Collins was not easily forthcoming on the subject but with persistence I discovered that the two words are Zwanzig and Schwan, a clear difference on paper but for someone improvising a moment on stage and prone to a heavy lisp, I can see that there might be a problem.

She had previously been known to shout loudly at custom officials at Berlin airport who were trying to x-ray her – “I’m a snake, I’m a snake” instead of the more conventional “I’m pregnant”.

(“Schlange” and “Schwanger”).

I think these sorts of difference should be taught very early when you are learning a language, but rarely are. It would avoid………..

…………no, I take that back. We SHOULDN’T teach these things. The world is a much more interesting place when the French say “shit” when they mean ‘sheet”.

Does anyone have any more examples?

My Dad’s letter turned out to be an anticlimax in comparison to Krissie’s linguistic faux pas - revealing firstly how absent I was from the end of his life and how ill my mother was towards the end of hers.

I knew both of these facts and I didn’t really need reminding - though it is true that much of that period seems to be obscured by the steam and mist rising from Copenhagen.

6 comments:

vicki hollett said...

Ah, funny that Krissie had that difficulty at the airport, because I had the opposite problem in Algeria. I refused second helpings of cous-cous by explaining that (rather than 'full' as I intended) I was pregnant.

Anne Hodgson said...

Schwanz is the word, and dogs wag it, so it's the tail. The swan or Schwan is far less damning, though one does sometimes have a Schwanengesang, which means to sing a parting aria before dying center stage in a pool of tears.
There are other very nice German words that are not at all related, for instance Schule schwänzen, which means to play hookey. That generally cost me at least zwanzig Minuten of extra homework.

Anne Hodgson said...

PS: You do know the Italian in Malta, don't you?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TnzCiUSI0

Anne Hodgson said...

Oh, Chris, I'm sorry, I'm really abusing your comments space today

... but I love the picture. What on earth is it? Does Krissie have anything to do with it? Or is it connected toCopenhagen? Or to the letter from your father?

Mystified in Munich

popps said...

hey, there is no such thing as a comment abuser, i am very excited to get them , disappointed when there are none.
I don't know the Italian in Malta - i'll go there now.
Krissie is in the picture, distant yellow blur, at an exhibition the other evening in Toulouse>
an artist had constructed the figures and shapes from hardboard.
Vicki, were you speaking Arabic or French?

Anne Hodgson said...

I remember making the same mistake as Vicki at an impressionable age: Pregnant animals are "pleine", pregnant women are "enceinte". ;)