Sunday 17 March 2024

No Day a-Dawning




It might be a library.


Might.


There are books there, you CAN borrow them and I have one to return.


One that I borrowed from someone who borrowed one from here, and which I feel incumbent to return.


I show it to the woman at the gate who is asking for I.D.


She tells me to put it on the ‘internet table’.


I cross a courtyard, trees and plants grow in abundance and I am in a park.


A stately home.


A forgotten corner of a half-remembered city that has never existed.


Except in a dream.


It might be a library.


Yet, you can buy shark poison here.


And rope.


And cobwebs it seems.


They have a lot of cobwebs.


A friend greets me enthusiastically, he is leaving by plane in the morning and I owe him money.


We walk together. I am looking for books; he is hoping for cash.


There are a lot of wools, cottons, knitting needles and a room with walls that are so high the sunlight only reaches the upper parts.


This is where the rope is displayed.


In one corner there are photographs covered in a thick layer of dust that make it impossible to see the image.


One is of me.


So I get up.


It’s 4:30 am.


Again.


No new day a-dawning.


Just the night.

 


No comments: