Sunday 29 October 2023

A Path, an Already View.




Déjà vu.

 

Already seen.

 

From the French, voir – the verb to see- and déjà meaning already.

 

I’ve already seen the sun set over The Mayan Temples in Palenque.

And over the Pacific Ocean from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

I’ve seen the High Plains in Bolivia and the low pastures of Holland.

I’ve seen the bubble gum art on the Millennium Bridge in London.

Not many people do.

See it that is, a lot of people drop their bubble gum there.

I’ve seen tortillas being hand made in a Mexican market and people making their own felt here in France.

I’ve seen the Eiffel Tower (from the bottom and from the top), Notre Dame (before it was burnt) and Dali’s sundial (around the corner from the charred remains).

I’ve seen the inside of the Mir Space Station, well, a life size model thereof.

I’ve seen friends die, babies born and a flower that blooms only once every 20 years, bloom.

 

I’ve already seen the bad side of the police and the good side of criminals.

I’ve seen the tree where Robin Hood is said to have lived.

And I’ve already seen the place where Karl Marx is buried.

And Bruce Lee.

And Edith Piath.

And the place where I’d like to be.

Laid to rest.

 

Laid to rest –  now there’s a thought.

 

It’s difficult to know which way to turn if everything is behind you. 


But a hill is a good place to stand and see the options; search the high ground.

And maybe the high moral ground too, why not?

 

Paths.

Radiating out and beyond.

 

It has been said that paths are not for people who want to be first, but that they do offer a deeply symbolic idea of there being a way in life. And as the writer, Patti Miller, goes on to explain, this imagery of a path implies a Pilgrim; someone who is making a spiritual journey to a particular destination for the improvement of their soul. It creates the idea of a “true path”.

 

Isn’t everyone a Pilgrim?

One way or another.

 

I am on a lonely road and I am travelling, travelling

Looking for something, what can it be?

Joni Mitchell.

 

Pilgrim, n & vi. One who journeys to sacred place as act of religious devotion; person regarded as journeying to a future life; traveller….

 

Path, n. Footway, esp. one merely beaten by foot, not specially constructed; track laid for foot or cycle racing; line along which person or thing moves.

 


to be continued

No comments: