Sunday 24 March 2013

A Thought of The day - That.




Well, what do you make of that?

That? Small word, four letters, probably useful for subsidiary clauses, one vowel, soft th so the French shouldn’t have to pronounce it zatt, erm, struggling now, not my favourite word but it’s ok, reminds me of “I saw sally sitting on a sea-saw how many S’s in that,” and it’s the seventh word that you have muttered this morning.

No, what I mean, stupid, is what do you make of last Sunday’s comment?

We had a comment???!!!!

Yes.

And whom are you calling stupid?

You.

Watch it sunshine.

It is isn’t it? Spring I think has sprung.

Warms the cockles of your heart doesn’t it?

It does. Er, what are they exactly?

Cockles?

Yes, of the heart.

I’m not sure but they need warming.

Ok, so, going back to what I asked you, what do you make of the comment?

Hang on, let me read it….. blog….. why?..... bit …. Hmmmmmm.

Well?

It seems to be questioning the secret bit, or at least its raison d’etre.

That’s what I thought.

Who’s it from?

Anonymous.

Ha!!! There’s a kettle calling a pot black if ever I heard one!

Can we quote you on that?

If you feel so inclined, though if you were any more inclined than you already are you would probably fall over.

I see someone left a reply to the comment, was it you?

I think it was the editor.

Isn’t that you?

Hang on, let me check…make of that?...soft th….stupid… comment… hang on…..kettle…. yes.

Yes what?

That.

That?

I’m that.

So, in that case you are inviting anonymous to sit down and discuss things over a bottle of wine?

Looks that way.

Why don’t you just answer them?

I will, sitting down over a glass of wine. Anyway, it’s not really very secret is it?

No.

I mean it’s not exactly hidden is it?

No.

So.

So why do you do it?

Because… hang on… you’re trying to get me to open up aren’t you?

A little.

No way! Not without the wine! And besides, you’re not anonymous.

How do you know?

True, there’s always that.

Yep. What do you make of it?




2 comments:

Mary said...

Belated Easter and Spring wishes to all. Still freezing here in T.O. -- minus 8 today!! Was hit with some cold/flu/fever nightmare and missed all the Easter egg hunts and dinner. Can't smell or taste a thing anyway. Could this be the winter that never ends and the spring that never sprung? I hope not. Thanks for Dr. Who news [will look into it when I feel better] and the article on Dickens and whether readers can pick best sentences from worst. Very telling. Wanted to recommend a book to all by Stanley Fish [real name!] entitled, "How to write a sentence and how to read one". Interesting stuff. It's all about sentence craft.

Have come into work for a few hours but am still feeling a bit feverish and queasy.

Looking out my window there are snow flakes whipped into a frenzy. Spring -- hast thou forsaken me?

Mary x

popps said...

Checking it out
thanks.
Keep warm.