Saturday 28 July 2012

From A Very Distant Archive, Far, far away. 28.


All this month of July the editorial staff of Bitsnbobs have shut themselves away in the distant archives. They hope to turn up a few gems, but whatever they find THERE will appear HERE.



Tonight, leaving The Archives after a hard day of delving, I decided to take the old way over the cliffs.

No one uses this path anymore, but that’s why I like it – so saying goodnight to the hardworking staff that were headed for the tavern, I headed towards the open spaces of the ocean’s edge.

I felt elated, the ocean can do that and I marvelled at the freedom stretching to infinity that the blue waters seem to promise.

Walking on, the path dips to the small sandy cove where some say mermaids dwell.

I don’t know, I didn’t see any.

Climbing out of the cove, where the track becomes very narrow, closed in by wild fusia I noticed the moon had risen.

Not full, not new but bright, bright and beautiful.

I wondered if anyone else was looking at it and I suddenly felt very alone and overwhelmed by the beauty of everything.

It was then that I came to the empty house; I had forgotten it was here.

There was no light, naturally, just the reflection of moonlight on the waiting windows.

I tried the door.

It was unlocked and I stepped inside.

No one called hello, no cat came to see who I was.

The fireplace was cold, yet I sat in the chair and stared into the embers that were no longer there.

A family once thrived here.

I felt at home, I felt like an intruder – so leaving a wish by the chimney I left.

No comments: