Thursday 26 January 2012

Do-be-do-be-do.


If you have read this, or this or even this, then you will know that when I go to the airport I buy a copy of Wired magazine, the intention being to educate myself, though the result is usually abject humiliation.

Sometimes the problem is simply one of vocabulary but sometimes, I just don’t get it.

It’s my birthday soon so I’m feeling old and the latest edition of Wired is making me feel even older.

According to the latest edition 100.000 people have signed up as registered users of an URL-based alternative to the telephone offered by a San Franciscan based company called Vox.io.

I’ve read the article three and a half times and I still can’t understand why I should need to join them – it’s not that I don’t like the idea of what it does, but as far as I can see I can already do what it does with what I already do it with.

Do-be-do-be-do.

Clearly this is an old guy’s attitude to things; a business maxim seems to be that if there is something people can already do, if you repackage it then at least 100,000 people will register to do it even though they are already doing it.

Do-be-do-be-do.

No comments: