Friday 19 November 2010

If you can see this blog....


When i was 18 i moved to Manchester in the north-west of England, ate in a Greek restaurant for the first time, painted my bedroom walls black and saw George Best play football at Old Trafford.

One of these things was a mistake that I deeply regretted almost immediately.

The locals told me that if I could see the Pennines (a range of hills to the east of the city) then it was going to rain and that if I couldn’t see the Pennines, then it was raining already.

Yesterday, older and wiser, I drove to Toulouse on the other side of the forest and vine that surround where I live.

From the top of the hill where the vines begin you can sometimes see the Pyrenees, mountains that keep Spain, Spain and France, France.

Yesterday they had moved closer!

I swear!

You could touch them!

Ok, almost.

People round here say that if you can see the Pyrenees like that, then it’s going to rain in two days time. Today is Friday; I’ll let you know tomorrow.

My Aunt is 89 and lives in Eastbourne and yesterday evening I rang her. I do this every week but on Wednesday night no one had answered the phone. Considering that she is hardly able to walk and only leaves the house to struggle to the doctors, I was a little concerned.

The fact that I rang again two hours later with the same result didn’t help.

And when she failed to answer at 9.30 in the evening I started to worry.

What could I do? My sister is in Thailand so for once I am the closest relative and down to me to break down the door.

I did the next best thing, slept on it.

She was fine, told me all about her evening out at the diabetic club, her fuse box in the kitchen, the piles of clothes ready for the charity shop and her plans for Christmas lunch.

Feeling I should offer something other than the occasional “wow” and “great” I told her about the mountains.

“It’s the same here,” she replied.

“What, that if you can see the Pyrenees it’s going to rain in Eastbourne in two days time?”

“No, if you can see Hastings it’s going to rain.”

Hastings is along the coast from where she lives, but frankly from her house you can’t see anything except the end of the road.

She lives in a close.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say..

popps said...

Thank you, your comment enticed me to read the post again and find the missing "to" which i have now put in.

I'm interested what made you appear in the comments at the end of january for a post posted in November?

let me know if you find anything else you like.

Anonymous said...

Thought I would comment and say neat theme, did you make it for yourself? It’s really awesome!.

popps said...

If by theme you mean the template then that's all bloggers work not mine.
If you mean the disorganised content then thanks!