Wednesday 9 June 2010

TWO!


photo by Carol

Four years ago Francois, a local pig farmer, and Andy, a local English teacher, pooled their resources and a state of the art video projector was temporarily installed in the art of a state barn on the edge of the village for the 2006 Football World Cup.

Anyone, and everyone, was invited to wander up at match time, sit back and relax on a bail of hay or moth eaten armchair and watch the unfolding drama.

At the very beginning it was mainly the “anyones”, those passionate enough to sit through Trinidad’s nil-nil result with Sweden.

I often found myself alone with Mario.

But as the competition progressed, and as the French team stepped out of their stupor, someone had the bright idea to set up a barbeque outside; Francois slaughtered the fatted pig and someone dragged a fridge up the hill, which we filled with beer and orange juice.

Word spread among the neighbouring villages, old friends not seen since Christmas emerged and some people even got dressed up, and a few brought hunting horns.

Soon Mario and I were squashed in with just about everyone from the village, and their aunt.

I had to leave before the quarter finals as Krissie had gone to work in Seattle for three months (repeated in 2008) and I had promised to fly over and join her and bring the kids; the flight was booked the day Germany (the hosts) were due to meet Argentina (the best team in the competition), and I would probably be too jet lagged to see Brazil and France meet the following day - the first time since France had triumphed over them in the 1998 final in Paris.

I would miss these (momentous?) moments.

It’s a long and painful story and I didn’t do it on purpose but in the end I missed the flight and was stranded in Paris for three days where I fell asleep from emotional exhaustion in a hotel room as Argentina stumbled out of the competition.

But every long and painful story has a silver lining, and if you can't watch the rest of the matches among friends and grilled pork in a falling down barn where could be better than....?

The three of us watched The Brazil/France encounter in a small restaurant on the left bank of the river Seine.

The restaurant was packed when we arrived and the only table was on the outside terrace, but by cricking our necks we could see a reflection of the television screen in a polished glass door that lead to the street. It meant everything we watched was backwards to reality, but hey, we got to see the game.

I had never been in a capital city when the national team won an (important?) event before and the safety of a restaurant in a side street is a good vantage point.

But to really experience the uniqueness of the event you have to walk onto the main streets.

I had never stood in a fountain with so many people before either.

9 comments:

Mary said...

As you may or may not know, Toronto is home to 85 different ethnic groups, so the World Cup is a big deal here. The entire city stops, everyone parks their behinds in front of a screen and no matter which country wins, the streets are filled with celebrations.

One of my favourite World Cups was the year that Korea hosted. The owner of the flower shop around the corner from my house is Korean. He was exhausted the entire time -- working his 14 hour days and trying to watch the games. When he found out I was Italian, he gushed with his love of the Italian team. In turn, I cheered on his Korean team which as I recall made it to the quarter-finals [could be wrong, but they did very well]. When the Italian team was knocked out (before the Koreans) he sent his condolences to me with a beautiful pot of Dahlias! They say that the Koreans are the Casanovas of Asia.

Looks like Spain's year -- but I'd watch out for Argentina.

Mx

popps said...

I don't know about the 85 ethnic groups but i certainly may or may not know you are Italian - are you? i thought you were Canadian!
One of my own great w/cup moments was watching someone - maybe the Italians against the Swiss - in a small taverna on a Greek Island.
I love that confusion of nationalities.
Spain are the team in form and, apart from Brazil have an assured route to the final, Argentina however are in the other side with all the other contenders from which only one will survive.
But your prediction has been noted!

Mary said...

Very astute of you Chris to note that, like many proud Canadians, I have what they call a hyphenated nationality, i.e., Italian-Canadian, having been born in Italy in the Apulia region and hold dual citizenship. It feels right to me, though many of my cousins [and I have many!] have left it all behind them.

Will look forward to your play by play blogging.

Mx

popps said...

so if Canada and Italy meet in The World ...er....Spaghetti Weaving Cup - who would you be cheering?

Mary said...

I will never have to make that choice as I think that Canada has not nor will it in my life time make it to the World Cup. Now in the Spaghetti Weaving Cup -- you've got to assume Italy would be the hands-down favourite. I guess it would depend on whether I was living here or there. Must cheer for the home team - er - when in Rome...!

popps said...

Ice-spaghetti?

Mary said...

Stereotypes aside, you've boiled it down to ICE and SPAGHETTI. That explains much of my foot in each camp dilemna! What a match that would be -- in an igloo shaped stadium, with a frozen ball and spaghetti goal netting ... okay -- Canadians are tougher and braver(have to be to survive the cold and wilderness) but Italians are more creative and resourceful.

Tough one to call but I've got to give the edge to Italy -- the after party would have better food.

Mx

Anne Hodgson said...

Help! I lost your email.
Not uninterested at all, just somewhat distracted.
Can't wait to relax into the frenzy.
Spaghetti ice...cream? Love it.

popps said...

there's a cafe in london - marine ices, camden - they do a spaghetti ice cream.