Saturday 22 May 2010

Did i forget anything?



Did I forget anything?

Wow, what a question - do you mean from the trip to Spain or do you mean in my life?

I forgot my mum's birthday once, I was about 20 and I rang home a few days after and whilst speaking to my Dad he offered a little - "You forgot your mother's birthday."

The connection between us went silent.

Somewhere in the distance a train whistle blew.

A hearse drove past.

It didn't seem to be the moment to voice an "Oh Fuck!"

Later I rang Inter Flora, Manchester, ordered a university-grant busting bouquet and asked if they could add a note saying, "we apologize that we were unable to deliver this last week but all our operatives...."

To their enduring credit they refused, establishing professional integrity and driving me to consider setting up just such a service - there must be others in the same boat as me.

I bought the flowers, apologised to my mum and moved on.

Actually I meant – did you forget anything in the set of posts about your trip to Spain?

Oh! –Well, yes actually. The other day I wrote about a bar that I stumbled into during a visit to Gerona and I had intended to post the video above (the connection for me being bar) and I completely forgot; it was also meant to link to the original plan for May’s posts which I am not following as I set off on another one but which I am subtly trying to cover as well.

Does that make any sense?

No.

Well it completes a trilogy of May music: Maggie Mae. and then May you never and now May I sit and stare at you for a while?

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Chris:

I just finished reading the Esther and Bert entries.

It made me think about the changing nature of our relationships over the years. We've been closer in recent years but for many years (especially in my 20's) I was very insensitive and resented my mother's heavy-handed interference. I regret my self-interested behaviour in those days but even now don't know how I could have turned it around. Too little awareness on my part and too many expectations on hers.

I try in my own way these days to make each of our visits gentle and meaningful. I hope it is not too little, too late.

Am bracing myself for my son's twenties and thirties and preparing to not take his behaviour personally.

Thanks for including the letter you wrote to your Dad. It was lovely.

Mx

popps said...

It's weird how you NEVER stop missing them.

Mary said...

Maybe that's why daughters turn into their mums after the funeral. I hope that day is very far off for me. I have too much catching up to do with mine.

Mx