Sunday 4 April 2010

Revelations



And so, Lent officially confirmed as over (see yesterday’s post), I congregated in the village shop, Chez Madame’s, to buy some chocolate.

My stomach intervened in anticipation.

I took my time – knelt down and checked out the fish, the bells (this is France remember) and then the chickens, the eggs, the seafood and the rabbits.

And the Lord proclaimed it gooooood. (Though bizarrely marine).

I asked someone about the bell – tradition dictates that the bell leaves the eggs for the French to find.

I know a bunny leaving eggs is just as weird, but at least a bunny is alive.

They confessed that the bells go to Rome just before Easter which is why we don’t hear them chiming and that on the return they distribute the eggs.

This was an adult telling me! In a tone of voice that suggested that bells walking to Rome was an entirely normal event.

Anyhow, I must have bought a lot of chocolate, or spent more than the average because Madame offered to open the door for me on the way out; my arms were certainly full.

Madame never does that for her parishioners, never leaves the Sanctum of behind her counter so I knew I had impressed with my purchases.

Now, before you get the wrong impression – let it be known that none of it is for me.

Though I might be tempted to nibble the corners before I reveal it to the family.

No comments: