Wednesday 18 November 2009

No News is Good News!


I’ve just got in from a long day travelling and working and, apart from cats, the house is empty.

None of the expected children and partner seem to be manifesting themselves and since I hve no idea where they are or when they will be back there seems no point in preparing something for everyone to eat – especially since it would be pasta and ready in a few minutes.

It would be possible to phone one of the sixteen or so mobile phones the three of them are responsible but that would both spoil the fun and cause me to move from this very comfortable sofa.

So I think it is better that I stay here and write my fourteenth consecutive blog entry using coincidence as a common thread.
But guess what – nothing to report!

Of course, I could remain quiet on the subject and wait another day, or two, or three etc etc but I feel that is anti the challenge I set myself. Instead I believe that if I commit finger to key board something will show up………….

Surely some great novels have happened like this…………

Ok, nothing so far so it’s time to turn to some of the half hopes and ideas that have been brewing at the back of my mind to be used in just such an emergency.

I turn first to Google and tap in “jokes+coincidence” hoping to find at least a laugh to send me in the right direction but I assure you, the top ten results are not great. I chuckled once.

Next to Wikipedia where I learn from the explanation of “Index of Coincidence” that there are things that I do not understand - even when I read them THREE times.

I even checked the language settings to make sure I hadn’t inadvertently set them to Greek.

So it looks like I will have to report a complete lack of coincidence in this post, and admit defeat in my attempt to make it to the end of November on a wave of coincidence.

I have, incidentally, been wondering what the appropriate collective noun is – a burst of coincidence?

A rush?

An equality?

A sudden gust…. No, that’s gravity. (Old Juggler’s joke to explain a sudden drop of club, ball or cigar box).

I know let’s put “a …. of coincidence” into the search……

……..



Guess what I have just found?

"In reality," says mathematician John Allen Paulos, "the most astonishingly incredible coincidence imaginable would be the complete absence of all coincidences."

That’ll do for today.

I thank you.

Now, if i can just find a photo to go with this..........

1 comment:

Janet Bianchini said...

How's this for coincidence?

You mentioned you had a friend called Karl. My hubby is called Karl.

How many people would own up to having an East German soldier's hat? Me and you!

A local village near your place in the middle of nowhere is called Penne. We have a town called Penne nearby from our place in the middle of nowhere.

Who was in Berlin at probably the same time in the 1980s? You've guessed it!

Which 2 people are both Aquarians?

Who has grass snakes, hornets' nests and praying mantis' in common?

An interesting stream of "coincidences", methinks!