Monday 3 August 2009

The Best laid Advice of Mice and Men Gang aft agley


One of the hardest things is listening to your own advice.

Never lend anything to your teenage son is something i have been urging all parents ever since i became one myself.

As a direct consequence of not listening to myself i now find that my laptop recharging socket is lying on the floor of someone's bedroom in another city.

If the state of my teenage son's bedroom floor is any indication then that, frankly is it. I am more likely to see a human step on the surface of Mars in my lifetime than see my recharging socket again.

It seems that a human mission to Mars is highly compromised - mainly by the human body's own weaknesses.

Two strategies apparently exist for such a mission, a 1000-day scenario and a 500-day one - both based on the properties of the Mars/Earth conjunction at the time of lift off.

I am told that the human record of space/time endurance is 400 days after which the astronaut was so incapable of doing anything he practically remained in a hospital bed for a year.

Something to do with the bones.

So any hope of sending someone to Mars and expecting them to be able to pick up rocks without falling over is science fantasy.

Getting my recharging socket back is also fantasy.

Even though the situation has taken an unexpected turn.

In a stroke of fortuitous circumstance that i believed might work in my favour, the teenager responsible for the distant black-hole bedroom is an unannounced, and possibly uninvited, guest in my house.

When i woke to this news today i immediately voiced the possibility of holding him as ransom and pressurizing his family to venture upstairs.

It turns out that his family kicked him out for reasons that are too sombre to investigate and that he may now be a permanent fixture of my environment.

Any chance he may have brought the charging socket with him?

No.



more advice on living with teenagers here

No comments: