Tuesday 23 December 2008

Open Sesame

There are probably thousands of literary instances of doors taking a central role in plot development and it therefore wouldn't be right to ignore such an opportunity in my blog advent calendar considering the central role they play here.

My favourite, which is also the opening of the Novel it leads into (as all doors in this calendar attempt to do) is this; it starts Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

"It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved, and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.

The main hallway of the Sternwood Place was two stories high. Over the entrance doors, which would have let in a troop of Indian elephants, there was a broad stained-glass panel showing a knight in dark armor rescuing a lady who was tied to a tree and didn't have any clothes on but some very long and convenient hair. The knight had pushed the vizor of his helmet back to be sociable, and he was fiddling on the ropes that tied the lady to the tree and not getting anywhere. I stood there and thought that if I lived in the house, I would sooner or later have to climb up there and help him."

I left this post until today as i had to get used to I-movie editing. Wouldn't it be perfect if he went through 23?

No comments: