Thursday 27 November 2008

Boo!

“Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde”, the novel, has been the subject of study in the French class at Minnie’s school and the other day they watched extracts from two celluloid versions; it was partly to conclude the terms work and partly to give the students a chance to discuss the merits of the different versions of how the story ends.

Minnie explained how, as a bonus and because of their good work, the teacher showed them a Bugs Bunny version entitled “Hyde and Hare”. She went on to tell me that she had been the only one in the classroom to jump.

I share this ability to be surprised by the unexpected and to sometimes show this in a physical and publicly embarrassing way. I even once succeeded in adding a loud uncontrolled sound as I left the floor in alarm having just tried to prepare my son and his young friend who were watching a frightening sequence from the film “Jurassic Park”. They looked at me as if I was an idiot.

Still, I had to laugh when Minnie confessed, “Even my chair jumped”.

No comments: