Saturday 24 April 2010

Three Wishes.


Newhaven is a port on the south coast of England.

As a name it is somewhat confusing, as very little about it is new - and it would be more appropriate if we called it Oldcrumblyhaven.

As you approach from the sea, however, and if the sun is shining and the sky is blueing, the Seven Sisters Chalk Cliffs that stretch eastwards are behold-worthy – whereas the cliffs next to Oldcrumblyhaven looked stained through years of people pouring their tea dregs over the side.

I love coming to England now – my visits are rare, viewed through senile nostalgia (where telephone and letterboxes appear as works of art) and imbued with years of living on the other side of the road in France.

You have to drive on the left in England so between boat ramp and passport control I chanted, “Drive on the Left” rhythmically and repeatedly.


The lady at passport control looked at me as though she thought I should be impounded, and then scrutinised the three documents.

“Is this a planned trip?” she asked.

‘Er, no, we just found suddenly found ourselves on a boat in the middle of the channel and…”

The search of the car lasted three hours.

Now, teleportation (sudden appearance on boat in middle o’channel) is the bridge between Newhaven and today’s topic which is Dr who.

Some of those who read this blog are Neil Gaiman fans, and I count myself amongst you. A Neil Gaiman related post won A Pearl in this year’s Bitsnbobs Oscar Event – handily linkable here – and much, much earlier he featured in a little visited post – linkable here. I have wanted for some time to draw your attention to his personal account of ‘being Neil Gaiman at the Hollywood Oscar event” but until now have been unable to write my way into that; today a post all about Dr who seems like an ideal opportunity.

I confess to being a big fan of Dr Who and have certainly hinted as such in these pages.

If I had three wishes……

By the way, I love playing “If I had three wishes.” It’s a game that is constantly changing and you can learn so much about each other. When you play with little kids it’s strongly imaginative – “I would be a fish” - later there is a more idealist phase – “I would end poverty” – but at the heart there is always a strong conundrum; selfishness, collectiveness.

A bit like election choices really.
In fact I guess the various party leaders are playing a convoluted version – “If I had three wishes and if you vote for me I might”.


Two of my perennial choices, even in childhood, have been the wish to fly and the wish to travel in time. Selfishness, see?
I have realised lately that I can combine them all into a single – “I wish I had a real TARDIS” – thus economising on a wish, always good to do when the opportunity arises.

The TARDIS, if you either don’t know or don’t follow Dr Who, is this (click here for the Tardis).

Anyway…..

Neil Gaiman?
Ah yes.

When I finally arrived in Sussex, (or was it Kent?), and after sleeping for a few deep drive-across-France hours – I went shopping.

What is the point of going to a funeral in England if you can’t get in a bit of shopping eh?

I left the family looking for “clothes-I-can-wear-at-a-funeral-without-scaring-the-vicar” – apparently I am the only one of us who has such things; it must be something to do with teaching – and set off to look for a good bookshop.

The place was no longer where my memory had left it but instead I found a BBC shop.

I entered, it was very quiet and library-like, and headed for the alphabetically arranged rack of Drama.

I couldn’t believe it, not a single Dr Who DVD!

How could this be - the single most important, nay the world-record longest running Science Fiction TV series in the history of long running Sci Fi TV series.. and… nothing?

I was about to become “disgruntled and stomping out, Tunbridge Wells’ when I turned and crashed into something.

Of course, they had a whole rack devoted JUST to the series. A floor to ceiling rack bigger than me and with annexes down the street – how could I have missed it?

And there I found it, reduced from its original price. A DVD of the ORIGINAL, first ever episode!!!!!!!

This was worth the price of European flight disruption because of volcanic ash for days to come in my opinion!!!!

And worthy of another couple of exclamation marks!!

I was 8 years old when I sat down with my family in front of what was a ridiculously small television set; I was almost 9 when the Daleks scared me and the rest of my generation into hiding behind the sofa; of course the TV set was only capable of black and white reproduction but, as Minnie long time believed, wasn’t the world itself in black and white at the time?

I hesitated of course, could the BBC be trusted, (the BBCB Trusted)?

I approached the counter - I was under strict wife-orders not to spend any more money than is necessary and although she too loves the series I was unsure this constituted necessary. I hadn’t bought any food, for example.

“Er, excuse me - this collection Beginnings, is it just a selection of the early episodes or is it really the FIRST episodes in order?”

“I’ll check for you.” Click, clickety-click, stare at computer screen, click. “Well, An Unearthly Child is the first episode but then they are not in sequence after that…”

But suddenly, time and space like, another customer popped up, he looked like everyone’s favourite boffin – round, smiley and balding.

“Excuse me,” he had a slight lisp and an incredible sparkle in his eye, “the Unearthly Child is the first episode and is also known as 10,000 years B.C.”

“Where they set off from the junk yard and end up in the Stone Age?”

“Yep,” my eyes were sparkling too, now.

“Perfect.” I paid, left, bought some bread from the bakers just in case and strode back up the hill to the meeting point.

So what has this got to do with Neil Gaiman?

Neil has signed up to script one of the episodes in the latest Dr Who series!

Cool.

Maybe he will tackle “three wishes” as they once did in the X-files (another good programme, just not mythical) giving Mulder and Sculy some serious problems in trying to reconcile the selfish and the collective.

By the way, if YOU had three wishes granted, certain to come true…. what would they be?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fellow sofa hider - my parents even wrote a letter to my best friends parents asking if I could not watch Dr Who when visiting as I came home too traumatised.sx

popps said...

No sofa at the friends?

Mary said...

I've never been good at the three wishes exercise. My earliest recollection of the concept came with the story of Aladdin and the rubbing of the lamp. It always made sense to me that the third wish should always be to have three more wishes. Keeping the third wish in reserve only allows 2wishes at a time. I've always over-thought this.

And yes, I agree that wishes are either selfish or collective. The selfish wishes don't take into account the effect the fulfilment of your wish will likely have on others and the collective wishes seem fantastical and overwhelming. In either case, even though the wishes may be guaranteed to happen, I can't seem to remove the responsibility I feel for my wishes. Again, I'm over-thinking it which stifles the wish-making process.

The times that have concerned me most are those when I can't bring myself to wish. I find myself in one of those intervals right now. So no wishes today but tomorrow or the next week, next month -- I'm HOPEFUL.

Mary x

popps said...

mary, i think that was pretty much the conundrum at the centre of the X-file episode that i alluded to above, certainly some of their best writing.
I too always have "three more wishes please" as number three and i never understood why no one ever said this - is it really in Aladdin?
I also like the quote i read on the back of a David Cassidy album - from my time as one of his fans (long story).
"Dreams are nothing more than wishes and a wish is just a dream you wish to come true"

Mary said...

Chris,

Not sure but it is possible that the three Wishes concept is a Disney-fication of the story from the 50's or 60's.

I know that the Genie (ref. to as 'dijinni' in the original Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp story in the Arabian Nights)grants wishes to the Master of the Lamp. Hence another problem -- the Genie is the Slave trapped in the Lamp. Perhaps the only wishes, or as you and David Cassidy put it, dreams, we can hope for are the ones that rely on our own efforts. I can tell that I'm taking the fun out of this. DREAM ON!

Wanted to mention too that today's story (April 28) about the origin of a round flat world was great. Since you've returned from 'The Shire', you are bursting with stories.

It is said that we ARE the stories that we tell. The writing is getting better and better.
At times, it's Jazz, sometimes road trip, then it's trunk in the attic, and often, as David in Ireland says, it is "more like a Beckett play".

But it is ALWAYS worth Waiting For ...

Mary x

popps said...

Mary, you are exposing your age there!! (50's, 60's)
I played in a production of Aladin once - i might have to blog about that!
I really appreciate your description here - jazz/road trip, trunk etc - that's the sort of book, film i love so if i'm getting near to it in these pages i'm happy.
Thanks x

Mary said...

Chris,

Three comments:

1) My age is a matter of record that I cannot deny. I've never been of the mind that age is meaningless - on the contrary -- I worry about people who tell me that they feel like they are 17. How can someone live for 50 odd years on this earth and not be shaped and changed by all that they have seen and experienced?


2) Ever since you wrote about Dr. Who [have to admit I know of the series but have never seen an episode] your writing has gone to another plane. The titles of 4 of your last 5 entries end with a question mark. A bit Douglas Adams and a bit Kafka.

3) Speaking of Dr. Who, I just watched David Tennant in the 3 hour Royal Shakespeare Company movie version of HAMLET. It was brilliant, best production I've ever seen. Patrick Stewart is also in it playing both King Claudius and Hamlet's dead father. Can't describe it -- must be seen. Tennant nails it. Fantastic.

Who did you play in Aladdin? The boy or the Genie? Did you get to say -- Your wish is my command?

Mary x

popps said...

Plane?
Or plain?
4 question marks?
Interesting!
i had intended three, hmm must mean something.
The last three posts and the fourth in the series (the next) are all stories i've been carrying around for a long time.
I submitted one to a few publishers as a possible children's picture book but there was no interest.
I sat down the other night and tried writing them again as "What If?"s.
These are the results.
Aladdin?
I played Ping.
I think i got to say "Irish stew in the name of the law."

Mary said...

Chris,

Finding a publisher is difficult. My husband sent out a hundred letters to publishers. He finally got himself an agent. You might want to look at their website -- TLA -- Transatlantic Literary Agents. They have a children's author section:

http://www.tla1.com/children.php

Perhaps you could illustrate some of your stories. Do you draw? Or perhaps someone you know -- Krissie, Loui, Minnie? Might be a good project to work on.

Your mind is full of ideas and stories. They would be perfect for kids. Harder to the What If's with jaded and beaten old people like me. Though am hoping to become more child like again some day.

Mary x

popps said...

Thnx mary, i'll look into it, i did try a couple of agents and got a slightly positive p.s.from one of them:-)
Illustrators? -i'm working on Loui.
Beaten and jaded?
STOP IT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE&fmt=22

Mary said...

Got it. STOP IT. I've memorized it.

And if that doesn't work I'll just STOP IT again. I needed that. Like a bucket of cold water.

Thanks Chris for the link. So funny. I'd not seen it before.

Good luck with Loui -- I had an inkling that he might be creative from the entry he made to the MIRROR series.


Mary x

popps said...

:-)

Anne Hodgson said...

Bob Newhart's "Stop it" is absolutely hillarious!

popps said...

AND saves you lots of money otherwise spent on therapy!