Friday 22 January 2010

Sheesh (Kebab?)


I’m working (day and night, awake, asleep) on finalising the categories for the Bitsnbob’s Oscars which will be published on Feb 2 in advance of the award ceremony on March 7.

…. just in case you need an alternative to the Hollywood version.

I suppose I should also come up with a different name – Oscars is probably copyrighted anyway - so I’m inviting suggestions on the subject.

I am processing the thousands….well hundreds…..well both of the suggestions from you, the voting public, but there remains ample time for ANY contribution.

So far, this is what I know.

Definite Categories.

Best original post title. (3 nominations already!)
Best cat image. (1 nomination already!)
Most original use of a vegetable.
Best pun. (1 nomination already!)

Now, I wrote all that last night, just before going to bed – yes I know that contradicts the opening paragraph above, but I thought it was time to to let the subconscious go to work.

When I woke up, late, on a frost based blue mantled morn with mist creeping up from the valley, I found that Vicki had been even harder at work.

I WAS going to say…….

Possible categories.

Most misleading title.
Best video.
Best coincidence.
Best conversation/dialogue.
Best drawing.
Best self-portrait.
Best picture of my mum.
Best technical advice.
Best piece of graffiti from Hamburg.
Best Sunset.
Best statue.
Best cinema/book review.
Best minimalist post.
Most interesting fact about my Aunty Ivy.
Best list.
Best newspaper clipping.
Most outrageous comment.
Best spam.

Have I missed anything? Should I add anything? Does anyone want to nominate anything? Does anyone want to remove anything? Does anyone care?

Well, clearly Vicki (who claims to be the busiest person in the world but obviously has much too much time on her hands) cares – which is great news – so now the academy numbers four and she offers the following.

“So then I thought, well 'Bits and Bobs' is about surprises, but it's also about sharing stories and creativity. So perhaps that's what the awards should be about. Here are some very embryonic thoughts.

Awards for the blog posting that could inspire: 


an ad on a double decker bus 

a breakthrough in science
a song

someone to make a big change in their life (for better or worse)

a new friendship

a tv show

a comment and perhaps another till it becomes a conversation,
a meme even

a new fashion accessory

tears of laughter

powerful memories

a way for people to make new friends

a new outlook on life
a chuckle

a pregnancy

a book
a change of plan


But I also think Janet's ideas might be better. :-)”


No, I think you are both brilliant and that there are some great things to work with.

So what to do?

We will need to whittle, or is It I that needs to whittle? (I still like the idea that we are an academy at work here.)

I think the eventual categories have to be able to attract three nominations – from me as a last resort from anyone interested as a first resort.

I love the idea, but does my blog really contain THREE nominations for “posting that could inspire a pregnancy”?

Or an ad for the back of a bus, come to that?

I would like to include ALL the pages posted up to the awards, not just 2009 but still I would be very surprised! (and i'd hate to have no nominations for you on feb 2nd).

Vicki also suggested that we have a category – best Sheesh – but I may have misunderstood and sheesh is just her personal way of expressing frustration.

9 comments:

Anne Hodgson said...

Vicky, that's brilliant! (In the American sense of the word!)

popps said...

Anne - what other meanings are there?

Vicki said...

I think you should whittle away.
Love,
Vicki

popps said...

Vicki - just give me a clue - which post would YOU nominate for - er - post that inspired an ad on the back of a bus?

popps said...

Anne - any nominations in any of these potential categories (please)?

Anne Hodgson said...

um... the straight categories are easier, viz
pic of mum http://bitsnbobsshowntell.blogspot.com/2009/10/about-89.html

cat picture http://bitsnbobsshowntell.blogspot.com/2009/11/confession.html

Vicki's categories:
could inspire powerful memories, no-brainer, did: November 9. (several posts around then)

could inspire a TV show: Any of your anecdotes about family life, viz the summer party one, or the one where the kitchen came out spick and span, or the ones on going to the movies.

Anne Hodgson said...

Brilliant, genius as opposed to (just) cool.

popps said...

Thanks Anne, that gives me something to work with.

Janet Bianchini said...

Yes, I agree with Anne re the post where your kitchen comes up spick and span after a teenage invasion!